Summer!!!!! Flowers. Lawn mowers. Sunshine. Beer. Baseball. Corn dogs! Have you heard of the D-Bat dog? Â Its an 18-inch corn dog stuffed with, cheese, bacon and jalapeÃ±os, nested on a pound of french fries. Yeah, thats right, a pound of french fries. Theyre sold at Chase Field where the Arizona Diamondback play. Excessive? Maybe. Delicious? Probably
So, in honor of summer baseball, I made a much healthier alternative to our deep fried friend. Gluten Free Baked Corn Dog Muffins. Â They are really easy to make and taste awesome! Theres really no leftovers for the next day when you make these. We had them for lunch, an after lunch snack, a pre-dinner snack, and for dinner. Â The crunchy muffin pairs perfectly with the juicy mouthwatering hot dog within. Not only are the edges crunchy, but the muffin is fluffy and light.
Â Theres a couple ways you can make these bad boys: in a mini muffin pan (for a super quick snack bite), or in a normal sized muffin pan (for leisurely corn dog enjoyment). Â For this recipe I used the normal sized muffin pan.
For this recipe, its important to haveÂ your ingredients at room temperature. Â Coconut oil hardens when in contact with cold ingredients, and makes it really challenging to prepare. Â In a bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: almond flour, salt, coconut flour and baking soda. In a separate bowl whisk your wet ingredients: eggs, coconut oil, and honey and combine them with the dry ingredients.
A note on coconut flour: Â It behaves very much like a sponge, and it will absorb all the liquid ingredients. I learned the hard way not to add more coconut flour if it looks a little soupy. Â Give the coconut flour a minute to soak Â up your wet ingredients, and you should be in good shape.
Fill your muffin pan 3/4 of the way full with batter. Â Cut the hot dog into sections about an inch and a half long, and stick them right in the center of the batter.
Bake. Wait. And enjoy!
- â¢ ÂŒ cup melted coconut oil
- â¢ 6 eggs (at room temperature)
- â¢ 3 tablespoons honey
- â¢ Âœ cup almond flour
- â¢ 5 tablespoons coconut flour
- â¢ Âœ teaspoon baking soda
- â¢ Âœ teaspoon salt
- â¢ 3 hot dogs cut in 1-inch slices
- â¢ Pre – heat oven to 350 degrees.
- â¢ Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine the eggs and honey. Stir into the dry ingredients. Add ÂŒ cup melted coconut oil, stirring constantly.
- â¢ Grease your muffin tins (whatever size you may have) and fill them a little over a half full with the muffin batter.
- â¢ Cut hot dogs into 1 inch slices (or a tad smaller if using mini muffin pans), and place them in the center of the batter.
- â¢ Bake for about 15-20minutes. Or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- â¢ Eat!