Summer!!!!! Flowers. Lawn mowers. Sunshine. Beer. Baseball. Corn dogs! Have you heard of the “D-Bat” dog? It’s an 18-inch corn dog stuffed with, cheese, bacon and jalapeños, nested on a pound of french fries. Yeah, that’s right, a pound of french fries. They’re sold at Chase Field where the Arizona Diamondback play. Excessive? Maybe. Delicious? Probably
So, in honor of summer baseball, I made a much healthier alternative to our deep fried friend. Gluten Free Baked Corn Dog Muffins. They are really easy to make and taste awesome! There’s really no leftovers for the next day when you make these. We had them for lunch, an after lunch snack, a pre-dinner snack, and for dinner. The crunchy muffin pairs perfectly with the juicy mouthwatering hot dog within. Not only are the edges crunchy, but the muffin is fluffy and light.
There’s a couple ways you can make these bad boys: in a mini muffin pan (for a super quick snack bite), or in a normal sized muffin pan (for leisurely corn dog enjoyment). For this recipe I used the normal sized muffin pan.
For this recipe, it’s important to have your ingredients at room temperature. Coconut oil hardens when in contact with cold ingredients, and makes it really challenging to prepare. In a bowl, combine all your dry ingredients: almond flour, salt, coconut flour and baking soda. In a separate bowl whisk your wet ingredients: eggs, coconut oil, and honey and combine them with the dry ingredients.
A note on coconut flour: It behaves very much like a sponge, and it will absorb all the liquid ingredients. I learned the hard way not to add more coconut flour if it looks a little soupy. Give the coconut flour a minute to soak up your wet ingredients, and you should be in good shape.
Fill your muffin pan 3/4 of the way full with batter. Cut the hot dog into sections about an inch and a half long, and stick them right in the center of the batter.
Bake. Wait. And enjoy!
- • ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- • 6 eggs (at room temperature)
- • 3 tablespoons honey
- • ½ cup almond flour
- • 5 tablespoons coconut flour
- • ½ teaspoon baking soda
- • ½ teaspoon salt
- • 3 hot dogs cut in 1-inch slices
- • Pre - heat oven to 350 degrees.
- • Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl combine the eggs and honey. Stir into the dry ingredients. Add ¼ cup melted coconut oil, stirring constantly.
- • Grease your muffin tins (whatever size you may have) and fill them a little over a half full with the muffin batter.
- • Cut hot dogs into 1 inch slices (or a tad smaller if using mini muffin pans), and place them in the center of the batter.
- • Bake for about 15-20minutes. Or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- • Eat!