Thanksgiving is almost here! In anticipation of the upcoming holidays I will be posting many recipes to help get you into the holiday spirit. What better way to start than with a gluten free pumpkin pie!
This pie is made with an easy oat flour crust. Oat flour is the easiest of all flours to make on your own. All you have to do is purchase gluten free oats from the store, and pulse them in your food processor until a smooth flour is formed. It only takes about 10 seconds.
The best way to succeed with this crust is to make sure everything is cold, especially the butter. In a large bowl combine your oat flour, salt, and xantham gum. Next comes cutting in the butter. The easiest way to cut in the butter with the flour is by using a cheese grater. If your kitchen is like mine and lacks a good food processor at the moment, this maneuver will help out quite a bit. Use your hands or a fork to kneed the butter into the flour and slowly add the ice cold water. The dough will be slightly wet.
Let the dough stand for a few minutes, then take out a piece of parchment paper and slightly flour it with extra oat flour. You can either roll out your dough using a rolling pin or just use your hands. I used my hands to spread out the dough, transferred it into my pie dish and smoothed it out with my fingers from there. The dough is very forgiving if it rips. Put the pie shell into the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up.
Now for the pie filling. My secret ingredient for this rich, smooth and creamy pumpkin pie is greek yogurt. It adds the thickness of heavy cream but tastes much lighter and a little tangy. Combine all the filling ingredients and pour into the oat flour pie crust. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 60 minutes or until center of the pie is set. Enjoy!
- Pie Crust
- 1½ cups oat flour
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon xantham gum
- ½ cup frozen butter
- ¼ cup iced water
- Pie Filling
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 16 oz pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- Pie Crust
- In a large bowl combine oat flour, salt and xantham gum.
- Using a cheese grater, grate in ½ cup of frozen butter (or use a fork to cut in the butter).
- Slowly pour in ¼ cup ice cold water and mix dough thoroughly.
- Using your hand or a rolling pin, roll out the pie crust on a floured piece of parchment paper and transfer to a glass pie dish.
- Place pie crust in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Pie Filling
- Pre - heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, ground ginger, salt, pureed pumpkin, almond milk, greek yogurt and eggs.
- Pour filling into pie crust and bake for 60 minutes or until the center of the pie has firmed up. You can tell if the center is firm if their are cracks running through the filling, or if you insert a knife in the center and it comes out clean.