The Super Bowl is coming up this weekendÂ which means snacks galore!Â In preparation for the big-game festivities, I have a new recipe for Gluten Free Pigs In A Blanket, a great alternative to the traditional snack.
These gluten free pigs in a blanket are very easy to prepare, and only take about 30 minutes to make start to finish. Â When the dough is assembled, tare off a piece of parchment paper and lay it on a flat surface. You can either use a rolling pin to roll out the dough, or just use your hands to flatten it. Once the dough is flattened place the cocktail wiener or 1-2 inch cut up hot dogÂ on the dough and roll it up. Make sure the ends of the hot dog are exposed.
The dough resembles a biscuit in taste and texture and pairs wonderfully with the salty savoriness of the hot dog. Â Bake on an oiled sheet for 15 18 minutes or until the dough is a golden brown. Serve while hot for the bestÂ taste.
Add your favorite hot dog condiment, pour yourself a gluten free beer and enjoy the game! If youre looking for more gluten free appetizers check out our Gluten Free Corn Dog Muffin recipe.
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 package of cocktail wieners or hot dogs cut in thirds.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the white rice flour, oat flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- With a cheese grater, grate the butter into the flour mixture and mix with hands until butter is thoroughly incorporated. The mixture should be course with tiny beads of butter throughout.
- Pour in the milk and egg and stir with wooden spoon until a dough forms.
- Round dough into a ball using your hands.
- Tare off sections of the dough large enough for the hot dog. Pat the dough with your hands on parchment paper to stretch it out, then roll the dough on to the hot dog.
- Leave the ends of the hot dog exposed.
- Place on an oiled pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk an extra egg and brush the tops and sides of the dough with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes and serve hot.