Spring has finally found its way to our kitchen table and a colorful spectrum of oranges, strawberries, mangoes and pineapple have hit the fruit bowl. To celebrate the sweet flavors of spring I’ve whipped up a fun mini version of pineapple upside-down cake!
I like to pretend that making cupcakes instead of an actual cake, helps portion control. Instead I find that I justify eating more cupcakes because they are just so small and cute. 🙂
To begin, melt ¼ cup of butter and distribute it evenly in the 12 cupcake tins. This really helps the cupcakes not stick and adds a really nice caramel flavor to the top of them. Next, chop up chunks from the pineapple ring and place them around the perimeter of the cupcake tin with a cherry in the middle.
Next, whip up the cake batter! For oat flour, I always buy bulk gluten free oats and then just pulverize them in my NutriBullet til they form a flour consistency. Generally it takes about 20 – 30 seconds to blend them into a nice flour. I do this for my rice flour as well.
Be aware though, if you do this with rice, it will not be as smooth as the flour you buy from the grocery store. If you do not mind a grainier flour, then this is a really great cost effective method.
The trickiest part of this recipe is removing the cupcakes from the tin. Let them cool for about 10 minutes. Then gently turn the tin upside down and gently pat the bottom. If the cupcakes do not fall out on their own that way, gently loosen them with your fingers and they should slide right out.
Top with whipped cream, an extra cherry, and enjoy!
- 6 sliced pineapple rings
- 12 maraschino cherries
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup oat flour
- ⅔ cup white rice flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼cup pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Melt ¼ cup of butter and distribute evenly between 12 cupcake, cupcake pan.
- Place pineapple around the bottom of each cupcake tin and place a maraschino cherry in the middle of the pineapple.
- In a medium bowl mix together all your dry ingredients, rice flour, oat flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl melt ½ cup butter in the microwave. Add sugars and whisk vigorously. Whisk in egg, Greek yogurt, pineapple juice, milk and vanilla.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Until batter is smooth and thick.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Invert cupcake pan to release the cupcakes. A gentle pat may be necessary to loosen the cupcakes.