I made this bread using my all purpose gluten free flour mix. The blend consists of several different rice flour varieties that I have found offer a very diverse range of baking applications. If you haven’t checked it out yet, we have a new resources page that covers how to make your very own gluten free flour mix by either grinding your own rice, or purchasing it in the store and combining it with two other ingredients.
The biggest difference you will note between gluten free baking and conventional baking is that the dough is more batter-like when baking gluten free. After combining all of your wet and dry ingredients, your dough will resemble a thick cake batter consistency. And that’s what you want.
Let your dough rise in a warm area for about an hour. To create a warm environment for my dough, I preheat my oven to 150F, then after 5 minutes of preheating I shut off the oven and place my covered bowl in the oven. This is a quick way to make sure your dough will have a very warm place to rise. After rising for an hour the dough will start to take shape of conventional dough, but still be very sticky.
After your dough has risen for an hour, transfer it to a greased 1 pound loaf pan. Your dough will still be very sticky and resemble more of a batter than a conventional dough. Use wet fingers to smooth out the dough in the loaf pan and level any lumps. Cover and let rise an additional 20 – 30 minutes or until the dough rises a little over the lip of your bread pan. After baking at 350F for 40 minutes check the internal temperature of your bread. I use a candy thermometer and place it in the middle of the loaf. When the temperature of the thermometer reads 200F your bread is ready! This sandwich bread recipes offers the wonderful flavor, moistness and texture we all love about conventional breads, only this one comes without the gluten. My family really enjoys this sandwich bread and I hope you do as well. Enjoy!
- 1 cup almond milk, warmed to 110F
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2½ cups All Purpose Gluten Free Flour (See Below)
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- Activate your yeast by combining the warm almond milk, and apple cider vinegar with the yeast and sugar. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes until the mixture is bubbly and frothy.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour blend, salt and xantham gum.
- Melt butter in a separate bowl and let cool. Add eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add egg mixture and yeast mixture to flour bowl, stirring well to combine. Stir for about 3 minutes.
- Dough will resemble a thick cake batter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- Grease a 1 pound loaf pan. Stir dough and pour into pan. With wet fingers level the top. Cover and let rise an additional 20 - 30 minutes or until you can see the dough rise to just about the top edge of the loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake 40 - 50 minutes or until the internal temperature of the dough is at 200F.
- Remove loaf from pan and let rest on a wire rack to cool before serving.
substitute the 2 eggs with 2 tablespoons of flax seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons of water. Combine water and flax seeds together and set aside for 5 minutes. Then add to flour mixture. Use Natures Balance Vegan Butter to substitute for conventional butter.
GF Flour Mix
5 cups of all-purpose flour = 700g
1 ¼ cup – 205g brown rice flour
1 ¼ cup – 205g white rice flour
1 ¼ cup – 170g sweet rice flour
1 ¼ cup -120g tapioca flour