Stuffing is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving. It’s comforting, delicious and has an amazing crispy top. The bread is what makes the stuffing, stuffing. And thankfully we have a wonderful gluten free oat bread to take center stage for this traditional Thanksgiving dish.
The first stage of a great stuffing is hardening your bread. I used our homemade gluten free agave oat bread, cut it into 1 inch chunks and spread the bread out on parchment paper overnight. If you do not have enough time to harden your bread overnight you can toast the bread in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes or until the bread begins to brown and dry.
This gluten free stuffing can be prepared through step 8 and placed in greased 9 x 11 casserole dish the day before. The next day Remove from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature for at least 1 hour before baking.
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 pink lady or granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup roasted walnuts
- 1 loaf of bread (About 10 cups)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Chop a loaf of gluten free bread into 1 inch cubes and set out to harden overnight.
- Oil a large frying pan with olive oil and sauté onions and celery for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in chopped apples and apple cider. Cook an additional 5 minutes
- In a separate pan roast chopped walnuts on medium heat until the walnuts begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add walnuts and sage to the apple mixture.
- Pre - heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add diced hardened bread, and apple mixture. Pour in chicken broth, sage, basil, oregano, thyme, pepper, and salt and stir until bread is very moist.
- Add more salt to taste.
- Oil a large deep dish pan around 9x11 and pour in stuffing.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the stuffing is crispy on top and warm throughout.