If youve been craving something sweet and crunchy, these delicious vanilla wafersÂ are the perfect remedy. Â This recipe makes quite a bit of wafers. Â Theyre quick and easy to make, and are a great home-made vegan and gluten free alternative to the store bought varieties.
The first step is getting your vegan âeggâ started. Pour two tablespoons of warm water in a small bowl and add your one-tablespoon of cornstarch. Whisk until no chunks of cornstarch remain. Let the bowl sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
Combine your dry ingredients: rice flours, xantham gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl cream your vegan butter, vanilla, milk and sugar. Slowly add in your vegan âeggâ mixture of cornstarch and water. Whisk until well combined. Now you can add your dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir well.
I imagine a piping bag would work really well to distribute the batter on the pan. I chose to gracefully plop the spoonfulls of batter on a parchment lined baking sheet. To flatten the batter down a bit, wet your fingers with water and gently pat each dough ball down.
Donât forget to refrigerate your dough for a bit. When the dough mixture is a little colder, it helps to contain the batter during baking, and it wont spread out more than youd like. Â If youâre in a hurry you can stick your formed dough in the freezer for 10 minutes!
Bake and enjoy!
Check out ourÂ quick and easyÂ banana puddingÂ recipe to pair with the wafers!
- cup brown rice flour
- cup white rice flour
- cup sweet rice flour
- cup tapioca starch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter at room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons of water
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a bowl add the flours, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together. Slowly add in the milk and cream together until smooth.
- In a separate small bowl add the cornstarch and water and whisk until no chunks appear. Combine with the creamed sugar and butter mixture. Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment. Scoop dough with a 1 tablespoon onto the prepared baking sheets. Space each 1inch apart. Wet fingers and flatten the top of each raw cookie.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for ten minutes or until the dough firms up.
- Once firm, place the prepared pan into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies are a nice light brown color.
- Makes about 20 cookies.