Once summer rolls around, my household is all about simple eating. No-muss, no-fuss just something quick, delicious and healthy. Nothing is simpler than a 4 ingredient dinner, especially when that dinner is as satisfying and easy to make as this one. This baked, sweet and tangy salmon topped with sweet oranges can be put together quickly for an enjoyable family meal.
There are very few single foods that can bring as many health contributions to your diet in significant quantities as wild salmon can. Salmon is an excellent source of protein and vitamins and minerals, but it is the high content of omega-3 fatty acids that makes this fish a tasty powerhouse. Paired with maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and and oranges, this meal packs a flavorful punch.
The tangy orange glaze is my favorite part of this dish. It adds a tasty caramel flavor to the salmon without being overpoweringly sweet. I couldn’t get enough of it, so I made a second batch of the glaze to top over my side of rice. I would recommend doing the same. 🙂 Orange maple salmon + orange-glazed smothered rice = scrumpdiddelyumptious.
- 3 salmon fillets
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 orange juiced and zested
- In a ziploc bag combine the orange zest, orange juice, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Add salmon fillets and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place salmon fillets in a greased glass dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour salmon marinade in a sauce pan over medium heat and whisk until marinade is thick (almost to a marmalade consistency).
- Set aside.
- Remove salmon from the oven and top with marinade glaze.