For this salsa recipe you will need to have a blender of sorts, or a food processor. Last Christmas, we got a NutriBullet, and it has been marvelous for allÂ my blending needs! Â If you are using a NutriBullet for this recipe, you will needÂ to blend in batches because it is smaller than a traditional food processor.
Now on to the stars of the show: Diced canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime, cilantro, jalapeÃ±o, salt and sugar.
Dice up about half of a redÂ onion. Absolutely love red onions. Â My salsas usually have an overabundance.
Slice the jalapeÃ±o in half. Dice into thin slices. If youre feeling bold, leave in the seeds and membrane for a spicier salsa!
The jalapeÃ±o, of course, can be a harsh mistress. One should take care to avoid taking out contacts, or rubbing eyes in general, until after you have thoroughly washed your hands. Â Seems like common sense, but ahem sometimes it is painfully forgotten (yeah it was me, I did that).
Open up your tomatoes and addÂ them into your food processor. Add the diced jalapeÃ±os and onions. Mince a garlic clove and toss it in with the rest. Next add ÂŒ ts salt, ÂŒ ts sugar, Âœ ts cumin and aÂ half of cup of cilantro. I always put in a bit more, Iâm a cilantro lover, I canât help it. Now, squeeze your half a lime (or lemon in this case) into the bowl.
Pulse your food processor 6 or 7 times or until your desired salsa consistency appears. I like a slightly chunkier salsa, so 7 pulses is generally where I stop. After your desired consistency is reached, add in your black beans. The beans are 100% optional, but I love how black beans give a bit of depth to the salsa.
Now it is time to put those tortilla chips to good use and scoop away!
- â¢ 3 can (14.5 Ounce each) Diced Tomatoes
- â¢ ½ medium Red Onion
- â¢ 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- â¢ 1 whole Jalapeno,
- â¢ ¼ teaspoon Sugar
- â¢ ¼ teaspoon Salt
- â¢ ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- â¢ ½ cup Cilantro (more To Taste!)
- â¢ ½ Lime, juiced
- â¢ 1 can Black Beans (15 Ounces, optional)
- Combine diced tomatoes, diced jalapeÃ±o, diced onion, diced garlic, cilantro, salt, sugar, cumin, and lime juice in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse about 6-7 times or until you get the salsa your desired consistency. Add in your can of black beans.
- Taste seasonings and adjust for your taste buds.