In this healthy turkey meatball recipe, a base of sweet potatoes, onions and oat flour add flavor and provide a powerhouse of nutrition. Enjoy on a bed of quinoa pasta with sauce for a great gluten free spaghetti and meatball dinner.
I have been on a mission lately to stretch the protein in my meals, and have become very creative about doing so. In this recipe, one pound of turkey leads to 40 meatballs! The secret is sweet potatoes. Normally when making spaghetti and meatballs I get two, maybe three servings out of my meatballs. But by adding a delicious and nutritious filler, such as sweet potatoes, I can really stretch how far a meal goes. Its great for your health, and your pocket book too!
This recipe is super simple. Start out with peeling a medium sweet potato and chopping it into cubes. Boil in water for about 10 minutes or until tender, drain and set aside to cool. If you have gluten free oats you can easily make it into flour using either a Nutribullet or a food processor. I normally pulse oats in the Nutribullet for about 5 -10 seconds until all the oats are ground into flour.
Mash your sweet potatoes with a potato masher and combine that with the turkey, egg, diced onion, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. I used a greased tablespoon to measure out the meatballs and rounded them in my hand. Place on a greased cooking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. This recipe should make about 40 meatballs.
I used Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta for the spaghetti in this recipe. It pairs wonderfully with the meatballs and tastes even better with spaghetti sauce. Spaghetti sauce is relatively easy to make, combine all ingredients in the recipe below and let simmer! The longer you let your spaghetti sauce simmer, the better its going to taste. However, if your impatient, like me, 30 minutes should suffice for simmering to have a wonderful sauce. Add quinoa pasta, sweet potato turkey meatballs, and enjoy!
- Turkey Sweet Potato Meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 glove minced garlic
- ¾ cup oat flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Turkey Sweet Potato Meatballs
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and place over medium heat. Wait for water to boil and add the sweet potatoes. Let sweet potatoes boil for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine ground turkey, onion, egg, garlic, salt, and pepper. In a separate bowl mash sweet potatoes and then add them to the meatball mixture. Add oat flour and mix by hand until well combined. Shape mixture into 1 tablespoon-sized meatballs. Place on greased pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, sugar, parsley, basil, and pepper. Cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.