Sometimes it can be tough to make time for a hot breakfast during the week. I generally go for a smoothie since it’s quick and easy on my way out the door. This week, however, was different. I decided to get efficient in the kitchen.
I pre-chopped a lot of vegetables from our garden to have them easily accessible in the fridge for the week. It’s amazing how many more vegetables I find myself eating when I help myself out by making it easy to throw them into a lot of meals. What’s nice about this dish is you can have everything pre-made in the fridge and just put it all in a pan to fry up.
Tofu is a wonderful flavor sponge and will quickly soak up many sauces. Cut the tofu in half, remove all the excess water with towel, and its ready to be marinated. I like my tofu cut in larger chunks, but you can also crumble the tofu in the pan to fry like a traditional egg scramble.
After sautéing your vegetables, add in your fried tofu and your breakfast is complete! This is a really quick meal when you have little time to cook in the morning. This also tastes great if you make a lot, save in the fridge, and heat it up in the microwave in the morning. Enjoy!
- 4 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 package firm tofu (14 oz)
- ½ red onion, diced
- 6 mushrooms, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes
- In a medium bowl combine the cumin, turmeric, minced garlic, nutritional yeast, oil and tamari sauce.
- Dice tofu in bite sized cubes. Pat with towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add tofu to sauce mixture and stir to coat well.
- Let stand for a couple of minutes. The tofu will absorb the sauce.
- Heat up a skillet with a tablespoon of oil.
- Fry tofu in skillet for about 10 minutes. The tofu will start to brown and caramelize.
- Remove tofu from skillet once it is browned on all sides.
- In same skillet add the vegetables and saute for for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add tofu to vegetables.
- Top with basil and serve!